Monday, January 12, 2009

Don't forget

xmas2004 011

(Our last complete family picture)

It's creeping up. I find that as the day draws closer I feel this sense of fear and dread. It's creeping, creeping, creeping...

In three days it will be the third year since my brother Dustin L. Kendall was killed in Iraq. Oh, the pain I feel in my heart! It's been three years, and some days I feel fine, then others it hits like a brick wall. Today has been one of those days.

I had out my scrapbook (of Dustin) on the couch and was flipping through it. Jenna came up and was looking too. Asking questions. Matter of fact questions like children do. "What is that Mommy?' "a coffin honey". "What is a coffin mommy?" "It is the box Uncle Dustin is in now." "Oh. I bet he is scrunched in there, but he doesn't care."

And then as we looked through picture after picture she started crying!! It was so beautiful. She just leaned into me and said "it makes me sad Momma.' 'I know sweetie, me too!!" We both sat there just crying. She got distracted by lunch, and ran off. I just sat.

 

As I looked I came across a poem Justin wrote soon after Dustin died. It is so beautiful. I wanted to share it.

Dustin Lee Kendall

Prouder nay has been a man,

When life was laid for him, a friend,

To tell the tale and cry the tear,

And wish him back to hold him near.

To think that I could be so blessed,

To have a friend who thought life less,

Than freedom for his fellow kin,

And thought it worthy to defend.

We will remember Dustin Lee,

A day won't pass that we won't see,

His face before us in our minds,

Though tears from eyes may fall sometimes.

Tears are real and pain is strong,

But we know that it won't be long,

'til all together we'll meet up there,

And once again that SMILE he'll share.

I know another who such did,

For me and mine our sin to rid,

Did choose His life to give away,

So I could live another day.

And gratitude is what we give

We show it in the life we live,

Freed for freedom is what we've been,

Freed from oppression, and freed from sin.

So don't forget the sacrifice,

Of two who came and gave their lives,

Some difference between may be,

But both showed love for even me.

By Justin B. Carroll

 

That last sections ties everything together for me. My emotions, my thoughts, and what I want to scream to the world. DONT forget him. Please don't forget him. Not just how he died, but his beautiful life. His smile, his laugh, his amazing way of making you do the same! Don't forget that he lived, and now there is a huge hole where he used to be. I cant believe that it has been 3 years, but please still don't forget. For a hundred years... DONT FORGET him!

7 comments:

Bubba said...

Lace, I remember Dustin His witty mischievous ways. I remember His big smile... our golf games in the front yard... I remember your brother... my friend.

Autumn said...

I have a blue spool of thread on an antique spool that Dustin bought at an antique store and brought to me- I still think it was the sweetest thing for a teenage boy to think of!
It sits on the table in my living room and I smile when I look at it- what a mess-funny funny mess- he was!!!!
I won't forget his wry smile!

Courtney said...

Can you believe its been that long, that short ..happened at all? I cant.

I love that poem..tell Juss thanks.

Love you sis ..

Bekah said...

i know today is hard day for all of you...just wanted to send a hug and let you know Im thinking of you...
xoxox

Lacey said...

thank you so much bek, for thinking of us. It means alot to be remembered on the tough days! And thank you my parent inlaws for remembering him!! Court, it all seems like a dream. When I look back to those frist few weeks it seems so unreal!

Dana said...

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers today. Your hubby's poem is beautiful. I hope you feel wrapped in God's love today.

Anonymous said...

Dustin Forever!