Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A memory day...

The girls wanted to know what "memorial" means. I got the privilege of explaining that memorial is to remember.

So today the girls and I remembered. We remembered Uncle Dustin, and how he served our country, and then we talked about all of the other men in our family tree that blessed our lives by serving the country for the future generations, and that is US!

We made a memory wall with one name on each star, and then talked about each war briefly and  explained why each war was fought. It blessed me to tell it.

IMG_7220

The highlight of our remembering happened at the War Memorial. What an amazing place. So many names on the wall, so many bricks with lives attached, so many lives sacrificed and so many broken hearts left behind. One day the girls will understand the significance. Today, though, they just wanted to go to the water.

IMG_7223 IMG_7227 IMG_7236

It was good for me though. I needed to do something for my brother today! I love you Dustin!

IMG_7225

1 comment:

Autumn said...

Lacey- I know everyone handles the memories in different ways, but I wanted to tell you how very much I admire the way you look for constructive ways to move forward-without forgetting.

You are without knowing it, teaching the girls how to find a way to endure the unimagineable.